The Punisher

Stuff that's fun.
KSUAviator

The Punisher

Post by KSUAviator »

I'm not shy about saying I've been a little burned out on the Marvel's movies. They were awesome at first, but it jumped the shark with Ant Man. Too many holes in that "Super Heroe's" story. But, I started watching Punisher on Netflix out of curiosity. It isn't the same formula as the other Marvel's shows/movies. It is a lot darker. It spends a fair amount of time on PTSD as well. I'm just starting season 2 and that appears to be the last season. There probably is no need for there to be a 3rd season. As a minnie series, it is pretty good. Anyone else watch it? No spoilers please.
Galatians 5:13-14 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Fiddler

Re: The Punisher

Post by Fiddler »

If you like The Punisher you might enjoy Jessica Jones .. We did.

Toepick

Post by Toepick »

Fiddler wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:15 pm
The first season of Daredevil was fantastic. A great treatment of a super hero.

The first season of Jessica Jones was even better. The greatest treatment of a supervillain I've ever seen. I've been actively seeking out everything with David Tennant ever since.

I would put Punisher a bit below the first season of either, yet far above the 2nd season of either.

The Marvel/Netflix shows sure fell off a cliff fast. Got a bit high on their own supply I think. My wife and I talked about Iron Fist last night as we were watching a great new show "Warrior" on Cinemax. I said "The intro harkens back to Iron Fist's intro." She pointed out "I've tried my damndest to purge what little of Iron Fist we watched from my memory."

Queshank

DaveJavu

Post by DaveJavu »

Jessica Jones? Was that her name before she became Mrs rabbit?

Jasmine

Post by Jasmine »

This is a bit weird because I love superhero comics, but I’ve never seen Arrow, Flash, SHIELD, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Supergirl, etc.
The Secretary of Torture and Executions is here! Cleansing the world...one ugly person at a time.

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler »

Toepick wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm
The first season of Jessica Jones was even better. The greatest treatment of a supervillain I've ever seen. I've been actively seeking out everything with David Tennant ever since.
We first encountered Tennant as the 10th Doctor Who .. Became a Dr. Who fan in the 70s.. Before Tennant I would have said that Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor.. Tennant nails it. So often so close to delightfully 'over the top' but .. that's the Doctor .. Great writing .. Steven Moffat, Neil Gaiman, Russell Davies ..

Look for Tennant in Broadchurch .. . Excellent ..

MFA

Post by MFA »

Fiddler wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:15 pm
Yes, I found that the first Jessica Jones season was my favourite. Very creepy.

The Punisher was good.

I really liked Daredevil, but he's always been a favourite of mine, so it was an easy sell.

Luke Cage...definitely a downgrade.

Iron Fist...almost unwatchable. But I still watched it.

The Defenders? Meh...a bit better than Iron Fist.

All in all, some of the shows were better than many of the movies in some ways.

MFA

Post by MFA »

Toepick wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm
The first season of Daredevil was fantastic. A great treatment of a super hero.
Except...no costume. The second season had some amazing continuous-shot fight choreography. The one on the staircase was incredible.
Right? I loved it. At first it was "hey, this is going to be decent because David Tennant is in it" (the "10th Doctor" was our first introduction, and he's great in Broadchurch, and Good Omens was good fun). Then the whole vibe became compelling. After the first season, Jessica Jones was...less good.
I would put Punisher a bit below the first season of either, yet far above the 2nd season of either.
You might be right on that. Although I found it a little too violent (I know, it's The Punisher, what do you expect?). My wife liked it best out of them all.
The Marvel/Netflix shows sure fell off a cliff fast. Got a bit high on their own supply I think. My wife and I talked about Iron Fist last night as we were watching a great new show "Warrior" on Cinemax. I said "The intro harkens back to Iron Fist's intro." She pointed out "I've tried my damndest to purge what little of Iron Fist we watched from my memory."

Queshank
Yeah...Iron Fist was pretty bad. I don't know if it was the writing or the acting or both. He went from wide-eyed naïve teenager to whiny teenager.

MFA

Post by MFA »

Jasmine wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:18 am
This is a bit weird because I love superhero comics, but I’ve never seen Arrow, Flash, SHIELD, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Supergirl, etc.
I can't get into the DC stuff. I tried for a few seasons with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I tried to like it. I really tried.

MFA

Post by MFA »

Fiddler wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:12 pm
We first encountered Tennant as the 10th Doctor Who .. Became a Dr. Who fan in the 70s.. Before Tennant I would have said that Tom Baker was my favorite Doctor.. Tennant nails it. So often so close to delightfully 'over the top' but .. that's the Doctor .. Great writing .. Steven Moffat, Neil Gaiman, Russell Davies ..

Look for Tennant in Broadchurch .. . Excellent ..
Oops, I didn't see this before I responded about Tennant.