Is professional wrestling a sport or just entertainment?

Stuff that's fun.
Jasmine

Re: Is professional wrestling a sport or just entertainment?

Post by Jasmine »

It's not technically a sport, but I view it as such.
The Secretary of Torture and Executions is here! Cleansing the world...one ugly person at a time.

Phillip

Post by Phillip »

Jasmine wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:11 am
Phillip wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:05 am
I remember when Brock Lesnar in his prime botched a shooting star press and landed right on his head/neck. A lesser man would have broken his neck and maybe been paralyzed.
Yep, that was scary. And also pretty stupid. Kurt Angle was completely out of it, too. That was a brutal match.

I don’t know about stupid. I recall, from interviews, that was supposed to be the finish over the use of the F5 and would have been epic if he had connected. I’ve seen videos before of Brock pulling it off back when he was training (So probably OVW). I’m not sure if it’s just my opinion or if I did actually hear it as well but I’m pretty certain Kurt was too far away from the turnbuckle and Brock tried to compensate for the additional distance to reach him and couldn’t accomplish it. I remember Kurt being almost right in the middle of the ring and probably should have been 1-2 feet closer.

RWB316

Post by RWB316 »

Is professional wrestling a sport? No
Are professional wrestler's athletes? Yes
Is professional wrestling a risky business? Yes.
Are the matches scripted? yes
Bottom line is some people enjoy pro wrestling some people enjoy golf.
Personally I think golf is more boring than watching paint dry.
BUT to each their own.

Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

RWB316 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 am
BUT to each their own.
Golf may be boring, but in professional play, it is a competitive sport nonetheless.

Professional wrestling is not a competitive sport. It cannot be when the results are pre-determined. Professional wrestling is no more a sport than ballet. NTTAWWT.
MAGA: Making Auschwitz Great Again

DaveJavu

Post by DaveJavu »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:51 am
RWB316 wrote:
BUT to each their own.
Golf may be boring, but in professional play, it is a competitive sport nonetheless.

Professional wrestling is not a competitive sport. It cannot be when the results are pre-determined. Professional wrestling is no more a sport than ballet. NTTAWWT.
On the other hand, you see out of shape couch potatoes practice golf all the time (they sometimes don't even walk, they use these little cars) while it would be hard to do anything resembling wrestling without a great deal of physical fitness.

Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

DaveJavu wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:03 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:51 am
RWB316 wrote:
BUT to each their own.

On the other hand, you see out of shape couch potatoes practice golf all the time (they sometimes don't even walk, they use these little cars) while it would be hard to do anything resembling wrestling without a great deal of physical fitness.
True. And trapeze artists, ballet dancers, etc. tend to be in great physical shape. But their acts are not sporting matches. Scripted and rehearsed performances are not sports.
MAGA: Making Auschwitz Great Again

Maestro

Post by Maestro »

It depends on whether or not true competition is necessary for something to qualify as a sport.

I think you could argue both ways on that.

Dictionary.com defines a "sport" this way:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

The qualifier "often" probably allows professional wrestling to sneak into that definition.
Last edited by Maestro on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MFA

Post by MFA »

robth wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:05 pm
Well.....since they know who's gonna win each match it can't really be a sport, can it?
They don't always know...

MFA

Post by MFA »

Maestro wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 pm
It depends on whether or not true competition is necessary for something to qualify as a sport.

I think you could argue both ways on that.

Dictionary.com defines a "sport" this way:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

The qualifier "often" probably allows professional wrestling to sneak into that definition in my opinion.
Like.....figure skating?

MFA

Post by MFA »

DaveJavu wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:03 pm
Right. And that's a "sport."

I like a definition that says something like "physical competition with objective goals."

So (as per me), chess is not. An objective goals, but it's not physical.

Figure skating is not. The goals are not objective. They rely on a judge.

Shoot, I guess you could say the same about boxing. K.O. or T.K.O. aside, it's judged. This is tougher than I thought.

Hockey also has some rules that are subjectively evaluated, but basically it's put the most pucks in the net and you win. Same with baseball, except it's runs scored. Tricky. Hard to eliminate all subjectivity.

Golf? Well, it's physical competition with objective rules. Some of them are athletes. Many are not. Still a sport. Physical without the requirement of physical fitness.

Wrestling? They're athletes. Is it physical competition? Hmmm...seems to be more performance (like a circus act) than a sport.